March 11th-15th, 2014: Irish Soda Bread


Sometimes in life you have to take some chances. The chance I took was making some Irish Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day weekend.

I have never made bread on my own before. I have made things like banana bread and the like but not bread-bread. I haven't used yeast and waited for the dough to raise, but then again this Irish Soda Bread is the type that you don't need yeast for; which is one of the reasons I chose to make this kind.

The idea to make this bread came to me when I started looking for ideas to make for St. Patrick's Day weekend. When there is a holiday going on near a weekend it is a great excuse to make something new.  I was considering making a pie for Pi Day on 3/14 but I settled for buying one instead. Plus, I lacked the ingredients to make a pie. So, I settled on the Irish theme! Corned beef, potatoes, and Irish soda bread sounded like great Irish themed options.

Biggest challenge when it came to making the bread was trying to make sure it didn't get over cooked! I checked and checked the bread but it kept looking semi-doughy in the middle but eventually I decided it's time had come. Unfortunately the bottom got a little over done but that's easily eaten around.

My first impression of this bread was the feeling like I had just made a giant biscuit. I'm pretty sure if I had space enough to roll it out I could have easily cut the dough up into biscuits. So, if that is what the bread is supposed to be like then it was a success; if it wasn't supposed to turn out like that then people are missing out on some giant biscuit action! Am I right?! No? Alright. 


Honestly, I do like the bread. After I had it with the corned beef I cooked in my crock pot and some scalloped potatoes I was feeling pretty darn Irish. Heck I got wild and crazy with it and put some honey on a piece. 

Seriously, can I eat this like a normal sized biscuit? I'm picturing just pouring a huge amount of gravy over the whole thing. Of course that would be waaaay too much food but man if I was a giant I'd be all over that.

Basically I just want you to know that this bread is tasty and you should make it if you so desire. Have an excellent St. Patrick's Day and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment